Sunday, January 19, 2014

Just how much can go wrong in one day???

Troy made it home this morning sometime after 6 AM.  I dragged myself out of bed and started to prepare all the milking supplies for this morning.  Zack told me last night to wake him up for him to go with me.  This morning's milking and baby feeding went on without an issue.  Zack took measurements of the old barn to try and figure out how to transform it into a cleaner, more practical milk barn.  I'm thinking seriously about getting a calf, bottle feeding her and making her into a milk cow.  It's a lot of work, but well worth it in the long run.  It's a bit exciting to think about bringing home fresh milk.  Belle is still only giving about 2 quarts with each milking which is enough to feed her baby, but unusual for a cow that used to give several gallons a day.  

It didn't take too long for a perfectly good day to fall completely apart.  Zack, Kyle and I went to lunch with mom and dad and made it home just in time to prepare for tonight's milking.  I got a call from Caitlyn.  She was crying and obviously very upset.  It turns out, she was driving home from work and lost the ability to steer her truck.  She was able to get pulled over and off the road but she was pretty shaken.  She said she had 1% battery left on her phone...then it died.  She's an hour away so it's no quick trip to rescue her.  I told her I had to milk and then would head her way.  I only made it about 2 miles from home and my truck decided we weren't going anywhere.  Thank goodness, Troy hadn't left the house yet for work.  He came, picked Zack up and took him back to get his truck so he could tow me back home.  When Zack pulled up in front of me he realized he had no brakes.  Troy had already left for work so we were stuck having to tow my truck with a truck with no brakes...fun fun!  Zack's instructions for me...when I see his brake lights, I had to stop me and him...great!  Thank goodness everything worked out fine.  Zack put brake fluid in to get him by and my truck was parked again in the driveway.  

I finally got another call from Caitlyn.  She had walked home...somewhere around 5 miles or so.  Her truck has the 2 back tires flat so us driving to rescue her would do no good.  The catch?  Her truck can't sit where it is because it will be towed.  My plan?  Call a tow truck to take it back to her house...unfortunately, she would have to walk back to the truck to leave her keys with the tow company.  New plan?  I will drive in the morning to pick her up and take her to her truck and to meet the tow truck.  Whewww...figured it out.  Not exactly.  I heard again from Caitlyn after I had went to bed.  She evidently has a connection through a neighbor to both a tire place and the people that owned where her truck was parked.  My new plan...do nothing.  She had everything figured out.  We will see how everything pans out tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment