Troy had been reading updates of people that had signed up to attend his 25th class reunion. He never really gave much indication that he wanted to go. I finally mentioned decided that there was no reason that he couldn't go. He had vacation available, Zack would be home to stay with Kyle and he really needed some time with his family that he hadn't seen for nearly 7 years. On the deadline day for buying reunion tickets we made the purchase. That pretty much sealed the deal...we bought tickets...we were going.
Now, I'm not one to suggest or even want to attend social events, yet I was the one to push for him to go. We left last Thursday morning with the intentions of not telling Troy's family that we were headed their way a day early. That plan didn't last too long, somewhere around St. Louis we let them know that we were on the way. After a 12 hour drive we pulled in to McDonald's in Troy, OH. Troy was a bit disappointed that the old McDonald's that he had remembered had been torn down and a new one stood in its place. After eating, we headed on to his parent's house. We were excited to get to see little ones that had been born during the last couple of years and were hoping that one on the way would arrive while we were visiting. When we last visited the mommas of these little ones were just 13 and 15. It was hard to believe they were all grown up now.
Saturday was spent doing pretty much nothing until it was time to get ready for the reunion. His visor he wore when he worked at McDonald's still fits...
Doesn't everyone color with sidwalk chalk in their pajamas?
I was especially thrilled with the fact that the Sonic there gives you a mint even if all you order are drinks...
Our Sonics at home need to do this! Last time we visited, there wasn't even a Sonic close...I was devastated!
Troy had made plans to meet up with his best friend before the reunion and go at the same time they did. You can tell Troy is thrilled to be with John...it's been a long time.
I was an interesting evening...they started out at a fairly popular table, eventually everyone left us. Some people remembered Troy, others couldn't place him. You could tell even after 25 years who the popular people were in school. It seems some things just never change. Of course I never feel I fit in. I had never met any of those people, but I still felt out of place.
I tried to be social, I tried to just let go...I even drank, which never happens. I thought what the heck, I will never see these people again. Unfortunately after 7 or 8 drinks I was no more drunk than when I walked in. It was interesting to me to have someone that has probably had 3 drinks in the last 20 years to not even feel it. Troy thinks that I'm unable to let my guard down enough...I think my moral/ethical feeling of this is wrong was just stronger than the alcohol...who knows...fact is, Troy had a great time, I sat feeling uncomfortable and out of place. I did have a ton of laughs at Troy and John and got to witness Troy showing just how low he can go when the DJ played that song.
Probably the best show was after we left...I do apologize to the Waffle House for the time we were in there...thank goodness it was in the wee hours of the morning. We made it back to Troy's parents house without incident...had a quick run down of the evening with his mom somewhere around 2:30 am and went to bed. Because we are the old people that we are, we were up bright and early at 7:30 am! I have yet to explain that one.
We spent Sunday afternoon at Troy's sister's house for a little football and crockpot pizza. We got to spend some time with the other little one and with the one on the way. Since we were leaving Monday morning, it didn't look like we were going to be there for his birth.
We were up early Monday morning...Caitlyn had called Sunday to say her puppy was sick, within a short time she died. The vet confirmed parvo. All our dogs had been exposed to her the week before so i was expecting to come home and have to treat sick dogs... I was a mess with worry. The boys said that all seemed well with the dogs so far. We had said most of our goodbye's the day before, but Troy's parents are always the last. That few blocks after we pull out are never easy.
We are getting good at these little 3 or 4 day getaways...then next one planned is another trip back to Ohio in May for Troy's grandma's 90th birthday. This time, all of us will be going. It's been a long time since we've all traveled that far together. It will be an experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment